Lindsey Cheek is an experienced litigator with a wide range of experience representing Plaintiff's in mass-tort, asbestos-related and toxic-tort litigation. Prior to moving from Houston to New Orleans to open The Cheek Law Firm LLC in 2015, Ms. Cheek garnered a broad range of trial experience while working for the Harris County District Attorney's Office. She then further enhanced those skills while working for over five years at the Lanier Law Firm in Houston, Texas, a nationally recognized mass-tort Plaintiff's litigation firm. Throughout her practice she has worked to hone and perfect her litigation/trial skills. Working in these fast-paced and trial-centric environments has given her a broad and dynamic legal perspective. Additionally, as of 2019, The Cheek Law Firm is one of the largest female-owned firm in Louisiana.
Ms. Cheek has extensive experience in complex litigation in Louisiana and nationwide. Because of her specialized expertise in mass-tort/asbestos litigation, she is frequently retained as local counsel by national plaintiff's firms as trial/litigation counsel in Louisiana. Throughout the course of her career, Lindsey has tried numerous cases to verdict, and has recovered over sixty (60) million dollars in settlements on behalf of her clients.
The Cheek Law Firm's main office is in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the firm has recently expanded to include lawyers in Houston, Texas. Ms. Cheek has litigated extensively in numerous other jurisdictions, including Texas, Mississippi, Florida, California, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Utah, Washington, Illinois, Puerto Rico, and South Carolina.
Ms. Cheek is on the Board of Governors for the Louisiana Association for Justice, and is also an active member of the American Bar Association, Association of Women Attorneys, the State Bar of Texas, the State Bar of Louisiana, the State Bar of Pennsylvania, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Tulane Inns of Court, Academy of New Orleans Trial Lawyers, Alliance of Women Trial Lawyers, Southern Trial Lawyers Association, American Association for Justice, Women En Mass, and National Trial Lawyers Association. Ms. Cheek mentors law students, and is on the faculty of Tulane Law School's Trial Advocacy Program. She has been published in numerous prestigious journals and is frequently asked to speak at national conferences on trial techniques, law firm startup/management, and various other topics.
She is the oldest of five siblings, has a black belt in karate, and regularly competes in marathons and ironman competitions around the country.
- 2021: $8.26M jury verdict against Ford Motor Co, OBO the Plaintiff, living mesothelioma victim Mr. Steve "Joe" Aaron
- 2020: $10.3M jury verdict obtained OBO the Plaintiff, Mr. Henry Pete, for causing his injury/damages (mesothelioma) related to the exposures to raw asbestos fibers that he suffered while he and his father were employed by 3 longshoreman/stevedoring companies out at the Port of New Orleans in the 1960's.
- 2017 – 2021: “Top 10 Under 40 Attorney for Personal Injury” in Louisiana by the National Association of Personal Injury Attorneys
- 2017 – 2020: “Top 40 Under 40 – Louisiana” by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- 2018-2020: “10 Best Attorneys in Louisiana” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- 2018 – 2021: “Super Lawyers - Rising Star in Louisiana” for Products Liability Litigation for the Plaintiff
- 2019 - 2021: “10 Best Female Attorneys in Louisiana” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- 2019 - 2020: “10 Best Law Firms in Louisiana – The Cheek Law Firm LLC” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- October 2017 - First case to be remanded (to state court in Louisiana) out of 10,000+ cases from the talcum powder litigation MDL in NJ - McBride v. Johnson & Johnson, et al
- 2019 – One of three peer-nominated finalists (2019 nominees: Lindsey Cheek, Jessica Dean, Jackie Rochelle) for The Elizabeth Cady Stanton Award, presented to outstanding female litigator of the year
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & CAUSES SUPPORTED:
- Louisiana Association of Justice, Board of Governors, (2019-2021)
- UNO Athletics Foundation - EmpowHER scholarship fund for young female athletes (2021)
- Adjunct Faculty Professor of Trial Advocacy at Tulane Law School, (2015-2021)
- New Orleans Bar Association, Fleur de Lis Member, (2020-2021)
- Tulane Inns of Court Member, (2016-2020)
- American Association for Justice, Federal Judiciary Committee, Liaison for the State of Louisiana, (2020-2021)
- St Augustine High School, New Orleans, The Cheek Law Firm $25,000 Scholarship and Covid-Related Emergency Relief Fund (2020-2021)
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Man/Woman of the Year, Presidential Sponsor, (2019-2020)
- Women of Plaintiffs Asbestos Litigation (PALS) - Premier law firm sponsor (2019-2020)
- Women en Mass - law firm sponsor, (2019-2021)
- Association of Women Trial Lawyers, Premier law firm sponsor, (2019-2021)
- Public Justice Foundation, Sustaining Member, (2020-2021)
- Invited Speaker, UPCOMING: November 5, 2021 - Louisiana State Bar Association 21st Annual Complex Litigation Symposium
- Invited Speaker, UPCOMING: September 27-29, 2021 Perrin Conferences National Asbestos Litigation Conference – The Fairmont San Francisco
- Invited Speaker, UPCOMING: September, 17, 2021 - Louisiana State Bar Association 28th Annual Admiralty Symposium - Windsor Court Hotel, New Orleans, LA (ZOOM)
- Invited Speaker, December 2020 - MTMP's Voir Dire During a Pandemic: Lessons from the Field
- Invited Speaker, December 2020 - AAJ's Education's Back in the Courtroom: Practicing During a Pandemic
- LAJ's Last Chance CLE Conference, December 2020 - Conference Moderator
- Invited Speaker, October 2020 - AAJ's Trying Your Case in Alternate Venues: Jury Trials During the Pandemic
- Invited Speaker, September 2020 - Loyola Law School's Virtual Advocacy-Jury Trials During a Pandemic – panelist with Louisiana 5th Circuit Appellate Court Chief Judge Susan Chehardy, and Judge Scott Schlegel of the 24th JDC
- Invited Speaker, September 2020 - Perrin Conferences Virtual National Asbestos Litigation Conf – Jurisdictional Update Quick Hits on the Most Active & Emerging Jurisdictions
- Invited Speaker, August 2020 - Perrin Conferences Diversity & Inclusion Webinar
- Invited Speaker, August 2020 – Perrin Conferences Webinar, Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Trends in the Workplace
- Invited Speaker, March 2020 - National Perrin Conference-Cutting Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, CA - Diversity in the Courtroom; and Talc Litigation Update
- Invited Speaker, February 2020 - AAJ's National Convention, New Orleans, LA: Women's Trial Lawyer Caucus Leadership Summit - Owning the Firm
- Invited Speaker, February 2020 - Southern Trial Lawyers Association Annual Mardi Gras Conference - Talcum Powder Litigation Update
- Invited Speaker, November 2019, LSBA's 19th Annual Complex Litigation Symposium, New Orleans, LA – Managing MDLs and Mass Torts with the Assistance of Special Masters
- Invited Speaker, September 2019, Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, in San Francisco, CA – National Legal Decisions Directly Impacting Asbestos Litigation – Personal Jurisdiction
- Invited Speaker – September 2019, Alliance of Women Trial Lawyers, New Orleans, LA – Judicial Panel Moderator – Views from the Bench,
- Invited Speaker – September 2019, Louisiana State Bar Association's 16th Annual Admiralty Symposium, New Orleans, LA - Maritime exposure to asbestos after Devries,
- Invited Speaker – May 2019, Harris Martin's Critical developments in Mass Torts, Multidistrict Litigation, and Game‐changing Jurisprudence Conference, New Orleans, LA - Talc Ovarian Cancer / Mesothelioma Litigation
- Invited Speaker – May 2019, Plaintiff's Asbestos Litigation Seminar-Women of PALS, Las Vegas, NV – Generating Cases and Owning a Business
- Invited Speaker – March 2019, Harris Martin's MDL Conference, Washington D.C.: An Analysis of Today's Mass-Tort Landscape,
- Invited Speaker – March 2019, Louisiana State Bar Association Multi-Topic CLE, Quebec, Canada: "Bet the Company" Mass Torts ... Navigating Game-Changing Dynamics from Electronic Discovery through Exit Strategies”
- Invited Speaker – March 2019, National Perrin Conference-Cutting Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, CA: Talc: Evaluating the Key Legal and Strategic Issues
- Invited Speaker – January 2019, HarrisMartin's MDL Conference: The Significance of Proposed Rule Changes in MDL Procedures & Valsartan Agenda, Miami, FL; PPI, Talcum Powder, Hip Implants & Gadolinium
- Invited Speaker – January 2019, Louisiana State Bar Association's Mid-Year Meeting, How to Win At Trial - Hint: Pre-Trial Prep is the Key'
- Invited Speaker – December 2018, Louisiana State Bar Association's ‘Last Minute CLE – ‘Personal Jurisdiction and how it has affected mass/toxic tort litigation in Louisiana'
- Invited Speaker – November 2018, Harris Martin's MDL Conference: Current Mass Torts from E-Discovery Through Exit Strategies - Navigating “Game-Changing” Dynamics, New York, NY – Talcum Powder National Update
- Invited Speaker – October 2018, Alliance of Women Trial Lawyers, in New Orleans, LA – ‘The Imposter Syndrome'
- Invited Speaker – September 2018, Harris Martin's MDL Conference: The Mass Tort Litigation Landscape – A Critical Analysis, in Napa, CA - ‘Asbestos and Mesothelioma: National Litigation Update'
- Invited Speaker – May 2018, Harris Martin's ‘Bet The Company' Mass Tort Litigation Conference, in Chicago, IL - Talcum Powder Litigation: Evolving Asbestos Developments'
- Invited Speaker – April 2018, Harris Martin's Talcum Powder Litigation Conference, in Laguna Niguel, CA, 'Update on Louisiana Talcum Powder Litigation'
- Invited Speaker – April 2018, Tulane Law School; Guest Lecturer with Richard J. Arsenault - 'Cause-Lawyering: From the Plaintiff's Perspective'
- Invited Speaker – January 2018, Louisiana Bar Association Mid-Year Meeting & CLE, in Baton Rouge, LA, 'How to Win at Trial; Hint: Pre-Trial Prep is Key!'
- Invited Speaker – September 2017, Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, in San Francisco, CA – ‘Trial Techniques – The Reptile'
- Invited Speaker – March 2017, National Perrin Conference: Trends in Asbestos Litigation, in Beverly Hills, CA, and presented on the topic of ‘Louisiana Jurisdictional Updates.'
- Invited Speaker – March 2016, National Perrin Conference: Trends in Asbestos Litigation, in Beverly Hills, CA on the topic of ‘Women in Business.'
The Cheek Law Firm, LLC is Certified-Active as a Small Entrepreneurship with Louisiana Economic Development's Hudson Initiative. #16160
- Mesothelioma & Lung Cancer Attorneys in New Orleans, LA
- Ovarian Cancer & Talcum Powder Attorneys in New Orleans, LA
- Product and Premises Liability Litigation