Prior to moving from Houston to New Orleans to open The Cheek Law Firm LLC in 2015, Ms. Cheek obtained extensive motion and trial experience while working for the Harris County District Attorney's Office. She then further enhanced those skills while working for over five years at the Lanier Law Firm in Houston, Texas, a nationally recognized mass-tort Plaintiff's litigation firm. Working in these fast-paced and trial-centric environments has given her the broad and dynamic legal perspective that she continues to hone, and bring to her clients and cases to this day.
Ms. Cheek has extensive jury trial and complex litigation experience representing injured persons/Plaintiffs in Louisiana and around the country. Because of her specialized expertise in mass-tort, asbestos and litigation, she is frequently retained as local counsel by national plaintiff's firms as trial/litigation counsel in Louisiana. Throughout the course of her career, Lindsey has tried numerous cases to verdict, and has recovered over sixty (60) million dollars in settlements on behalf of her clients.
The Cheek Law Firm's main office is in New Orleans, Louisiana, and the firm has recently expanded to include lawyers in Texas. Ms. Cheek has litigated extensively in numerous jurisdictions around the country, including Texas, Mississippi, Florida, California, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Utah, Washington, Illinois, Puerto Rico, and South Carolina.
Ms. Cheek is on the Executive Committee of the Louisiana Association for Justice, and is also on the Board of Governors for the American Association for Justice. She is also an active member of the American Bar Association, Association of Women Attorneys, the State Bar of Texas, the State Bar of Louisiana, the State Bar of Pennsylvania, Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Tulane Inns of Court, Academy of New Orleans Trial Lawyers, Southern Trial Lawyers Association, Women En Mass, Society of Women Trial Lawyers, New Orleans Bar Association, and National Trial Lawyers Association. Ms. Cheek mentors law students, and is on the faculty of Tulane Law School's Trial Advocacy Program. She has been published in numerous prestigious law and bar journals and is frequently asked to speak at national conferences on trial techniques, law firm startup/management, women in the law, asbestos and mesothelioma litigation, and various other topics.
Ms. Cheek is the oldest of five siblings, has a black belt in karate, and is a former marathon runner and ironman competitor.
JURY TRIAL VERDICTS:
- December 2021: $10.25M jury trial verdict against Union Carbide obtained OBO Ms. Cheek's deceased mesothelioma client, Mr. David Stauder and his family in Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans.
- July 2021: $8.26M jury trial verdict against Ford Motor Co. obtained OBO Ms. Cheek's living mesothelioma client, Mr. Steven "Joe" Aaron in Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans.
- June 2020: $10.3M jury verdict against Atlantic & Gulf obtained OBO Ms. Cheek's living mesothelioma client, Mr. Henry Pete in Civil District Court for the Parish of Orleans for causing Mr. Pete's development of mesothelioma related to his exposure to raw asbestos fibers while he and his father were employed by certain longshoreman/stevedoring companies at the Port of New Orleans in the 1960's.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & AWARDS:
- 2017 – 2022: “Top 10 Under 40 Attorney for Personal Injury” in Louisiana by the National Association of Personal Injury Attorneys
- 2017 – 2022: “Top 40 Under 40 – Louisiana” by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- 2018 - 2021: “10 Best Attorneys in Louisiana” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- 2018 – 2022: “Super Lawyers - Rising Star in Louisiana” for Products Liability Litigation for the Plaintiff
- 2019 - 2022: “10 Best Female Attorneys in Louisiana” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- 2019 - 2021: “10 Best Law Firms in Louisiana – The Cheek Law Firm LLC” by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys
- October 2017 - First talcum powder case to be remanded (to state court in Louisiana) out of 10,000+ cases from the talcum powder litigation MDL in New Jersey - McBride v. Johnson & Johnson, et al
- 2019 – One of three peer-nominated finalists (2019 nominees: Lindsey Cheek, Jessica Dean, Jackie Rochelle) for The Elizabeth Cady Stanton Award, presented to outstanding female litigator of the year
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & CAUSES SUPPORTED:
- Louisiana Association of Justice, Board of Governors, Executive Committee (2019-2022)
- University of New Orleans Athletics Foundation - Title Sponsor of the UNO EmpowHER Privateers scholarship initiative and inaugural brunch event in support of female student-athletes (2021-2022)
- University of Mississippi Foundation, Dr. Wallace L. Guess $25,000 Pharmacy Scholarship Endowment, made by Ms. Lindsey Cheek and The Cheek Law Firm, LLC in honor of Ms. Cheek's grandfather, and former long-time Dean of the Ole Miss School of Pharmacy, Dr. Wallace Guess (2021-2022)
- Adjunct Faculty Professor of Trial Advocacy at Tulane Law School, (2015-2022)
- New Orleans Bar Association, Fleur de Lis Member, (2019-2022)
- Tulane Inns of Court Member, (2016-2022)
- American Association for Justice, Federal Judiciary Committee Liaison for the State of Louisiana, Board of Governors (2019-2022)
- St Augustine High School, New Orleans, The Cheek Law Firm's $25,000 Emergency and Covid-Relief Scholarship Fund (2020-2022)
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of New Orleans Man/Woman of the Year, Presidential Sponsor, (2019-2021)
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of New Orleans Man/Woman of the Year, Committee Member, (2021-2022)
- Women of Plaintiffs Asbestos Litigation (PALS) - Premier law firm sponsor (2019-2020)
- Women en Mass - law firm sponsor, (2019-2021)
- Society of Women Trial Lawyers, Premier law firm sponsor, (2019-2022)
- Public Justice Foundation, Sustaining Member, (2020-2022)
- Lafourche Parish Hurricane Ida Relief (2021)
- Greater New Orleans Louis A. Martinet Legal Society (2020-2022)
- Habitat for Humanity (2021-2022)
- Cincinnatus Club (2019-2022)
- Migrant & Immigrant Action Project (2020-2022)
- Thrive Foundation (2021-2022)
- Roots of Music (2021-2022)
- Invited Speaker, December 15 &16, 2021 - New Orleans Bar Association - Masters of the Courtroom
- Invited Speaker, November 5, 2021 - Louisiana State Bar Association 21st Annual Complex Litigation Symposium
- Invited Speaker, September 27-29, 2021 Perrin Conferences National Asbestos Litigation Conference – The Fairmont San Francisco
- Invited Speaker, September, 17, 2021 - Louisiana State Bar Association 28th Annual Admiralty Symposium - Windsor Court Hotel, New Orleans, LA (ZOOM)
- Invited Speaker, December 2020 - MTMP's Voir Dire During a Pandemic: Lessons from the Field
- Invited Speaker, December 2020 - AAJ's Education's Back in the Courtroom: Practicing During a Pandemic
- LAJ's Last Chance CLE Conference, December 2020 - Conference Moderator
- Invited Speaker, October 2020 - AAJ's Trying Your Case in Alternate Venues: Jury Trials During the Pandemic
- Invited Speaker, September 2020 - Loyola Law School's Virtual Advocacy-Jury Trials During a Pandemic – panelist with Louisiana 5th Circuit Appellate Court Chief Judge Susan Chehardy, and Judge Scott Schlegel of the 24th JDC
- Invited Speaker, September 2020 - Perrin Conferences Virtual National Asbestos Litigation Conf – Jurisdictional Update Quick Hits on the Most Active & Emerging Jurisdictions
- Invited Speaker, August 2020 - Perrin Conferences Diversity & Inclusion Webinar
- Invited Speaker, August 2020 – Perrin Conferences Webinar, Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Trends in the Workplace
- Invited Speaker, March 2020 - National Perrin Conference-Cutting Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, CA - Diversity in the Courtroom; and Talc Litigation Update
- Invited Speaker, February 2020 - AAJ's National Convention, New Orleans, LA: Women's Trial Lawyer Caucus Leadership Summit - Owning the Firm
- Invited Speaker, February 2020 - Southern Trial Lawyers Association Annual Mardi Gras Conference - Talcum Powder Litigation Update
- Invited Speaker, November 2019, LSBA's 19th Annual Complex Litigation Symposium, New Orleans, LA – Managing MDLs and Mass Torts with the Assistance of Special Masters
- Invited Speaker, September 2019, Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, in San Francisco, CA – National Legal Decisions Directly Impacting Asbestos Litigation – Personal Jurisdiction
- Invited Speaker – September 2019, Alliance of Women Trial Lawyers, New Orleans, LA – Judicial Panel Moderator – Views from the Bench,
- Invited Speaker – September 2019, Louisiana State Bar Association's 16th Annual Admiralty Symposium, New Orleans, LA - Maritime exposure to asbestos after Devries,
- Invited Speaker – May 2019, Harris Martin's Critical developments in Mass Torts, Multidistrict Litigation, and Game‐changing Jurisprudence Conference, New Orleans, LA - Talc Ovarian Cancer / Mesothelioma Litigation
- Invited Speaker – May 2019, Plaintiff's Asbestos Litigation Seminar-Women of PALS, Las Vegas, NV – Generating Cases and Owning a Business
- Invited Speaker – March 2019, Harris Martin's MDL Conference, Washington D.C.: An Analysis of Today's Mass-Tort Landscape,
- Invited Speaker – March 2019, Louisiana State Bar Association Multi-Topic CLE, Quebec, Canada: "Bet the Company" Mass Torts ... Navigating Game-Changing Dynamics from Electronic Discovery through Exit Strategies”
- Invited Speaker – March 2019, National Perrin Conference-Cutting Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation, Beverly Hills, CA: Talc: Evaluating the Key Legal and Strategic Issues
- Invited Speaker – January 2019, Harris Martin's MDL Conference: The Significance of Proposed Rule Changes in MDL Procedures & Valsartan Agenda, Miami, FL; PPI, Talcum Powder, Hip Implants & Gadolinium
- Invited Speaker – January 2019, Louisiana State Bar Association's Mid-Year Meeting, How to Win At Trial - Hint: Pre-Trial Prep is the Key'
- Invited Speaker – December 2018, Louisiana State Bar Association's ‘Last Minute CLE – ‘Personal Jurisdiction and how it has affected mass/toxic tort litigation in Louisiana'
- Invited Speaker – November 2018, Harris Martin's MDL Conference: Current Mass Torts from E-Discovery Through Exit Strategies - Navigating “Game-Changing” Dynamics, New York, NY – Talcum Powder National Update
- Invited Speaker – October 2018, Alliance of Women Trial Lawyers, in New Orleans, LA – ‘The Imposter Syndrome'
- Invited Speaker – September 2018, Harris Martin's MDL Conference: The Mass Tort Litigation Landscape – A Critical Analysis, in Napa, CA - ‘Asbestos and Mesothelioma: National Litigation Update'
- Invited Speaker – May 2018, Harris Martin's ‘Bet The Company' Mass Tort Litigation Conference, in Chicago, IL - Talcum Powder Litigation: Evolving Asbestos Developments'
- Invited Speaker – April 2018, Harris Martin's Talcum Powder Litigation Conference, in Laguna Niguel, CA, 'Update on Louisiana Talcum Powder Litigation'
- Invited Speaker – April 2018, Tulane Law School; Guest Lecturer with Richard J. Arsenault - 'Cause-Lawyering: From the Plaintiff's Perspective'
- Invited Speaker – January 2018, Louisiana Bar Association Mid-Year Meeting & CLE, in Baton Rouge, LA, 'How to Win at Trial; Hint: Pre-Trial Prep is Key!'
- Invited Speaker – September 2017, Perrin Asbestos Litigation Conference: A National Overview and Outlook, in San Francisco, CA – ‘Trial Techniques – The Reptile'
- Invited Speaker – March 2017, National Perrin Conference: Trends in Asbestos Litigation, in Beverly Hills, CA, and presented on the topic of ‘Louisiana Jurisdictional Updates.'
- Invited Speaker – March 2016, National Perrin Conference: Trends in Asbestos Litigation, in Beverly Hills, CA on the topic of ‘Women in Business.'
The Cheek Law Firm, LLC is Certified-Active as a Small Entrepreneurship and DBE with Louisiana Economic Development's Hudson Initiative. #16160
- Mesothelioma & Lung Cancer Attorneys in New Orleans, LA
- Ovarian Cancer & Talcum Powder Attorneys in New Orleans, LA
- Product and Premises Liability Litigation